GPS trackers for herding dogs utilize GPS technology in tracking herding dogs and their activities. GPS trackers are conveniently small in size and lightweight. They also usually come with a rechargeable battery and can be easily attached to your dog’s collar using a special attachment device.
GPS trackers have a wider range than Bluetooth devices and can provide you with remote monitoring of your herding dog and its activities through your computer or smartphone. The real-time feature of GPS technology makes finding a lost dog faster with any GPS tracker.
There are a variety of uses for GPS trackers for herding dogs but among the most noteworthy include:
- Keeping track of your dog within assigned electronic safety zones
- Providing automatic e-mail and text alerts whenever your dog moves out of the designated safety zones or the two-mile radius limit
- Keeping track of your dog’s daily health status and exercise levels
- Recommending an exercise schedule for your dog
Based on the uses of the GPS tracker for your herding dog, they are:
- Useful in keeping your herding dog safe
- Useful in ensuring that the flock is safe by detecting unusual movements in your herding dog
- Useful in ensuring that your herding dog is healthy and fit for its daily tasks and activities
- Useful in securing your safe zones even if you travel far because of the wide range of GPS tracking technology
One of the challenges facing GPS pet trackers is the necessity to use a cell phone or computer in tracking your dog. Manufacturers have to allow the connection of the GPS tracker with multiple cell phones and computers in order to ensure the safety of your herding dog just in case the signal fails on one computer or mobile device.
Another challenge is the monthly subscription costs for the app. GPS tracker manufacturers should at least devise a way in which the handler could make just a one-time payment for the device.
Whistle GPS Pet Tracker
The Whistle GPS Pet Tracker is an affordable pet tracking collar that uses a cell phone to monitor it and GPS technology to locate your wandering herding dog. It has a whistle function that will automatically send you a text message if your herding dog goes off.
Here are some of its more interesting features:
- Affordable subscription fee
- Equipped with a whistle that automatically sends you a text message whenever your dog wanders off from the safe zone that you have designated
- Allows tracking of movements and activity level in order to ensure that your dogs are working out efficiently while you’re away
- Nationwide coverage
- Durable and waterproof
- Instant notifications and alerts via app and text when your herding dog goes outside the safe zone
- Can monitor the location of multiple herding dogs at the same time
Marco Polo Pet Tracking Collar Tag
The Marco Polo Pet Tracking Collar Tag is a tracking device for your herding dog and can even monitor up to three dogs. As part of the Marco Polo Pet Tracking System, the Marco Polo Pet Tracking Collar Tag is a hand-held locator that works without the use of GPS technology or cell phone connectivity and has no monthly charges.
Here are some of its more amazing features:
- Bell alarms anytime 24/7 when a dog wanders into electronic zones that you have assigned
- Alerts when a dog wanders further than a two-mile range
- Extremely light weight at 0.8 oz or 22.6 grams
- Waterproof from rain and submersion in shallow water
- 45-day long lithium-ion battery life and rechargeable
- Simple one-button use for pet tracking
- Low-cost system start-up
- No monthly fees for the cell phone app or for battery replacement
- Additional tag receivers can be purchased for the protection of up to 3 pets
- Can work anywhere
Tagg GPS Pet Tracker
The Tagg GPS Pet Tracker is a device that has been given the Cat and Dog Tracker award 10 times. This particular tracker uses advanced GPS as well as wireless technology when tracking your herding dog. It can also track your dog’s activity levels for ensuring better protection and care.
Here are some of its interesting features:
- Excellent GPS location tracking
- Automatic Text and Email Alerts whenever your herding dog goes out of an electronic safe zone or a two-mile radius
- Allows viewing of daily exercise levels to ensure the health of your herding dog
- Free apps for iPhone and Android systems
- Fits most dog collars but is not recommended for dogs weighing less than 10 lbs
- Interactive maps and directions that track your herding dog’s movement
- Daily exercise recommendations for your dog
- Award-winning interface
- Durable and comfortable